Domain Name assignment rules in Israel
- Kindergartens, elementary schools, and high schools are to
register under k12.il
- Non-profit organizations such as amutot and malkarim are to
register under org.il
- Academic institutions of higher education (with Malkar status)
are to register under ac.il
- Governmental organizations are to register under gov.il
- Commercial organizations are to register under co.il
- Internet Service Providers are allowed to register under net.il
- No other domain groupings will be opened
- Domain names are not allowed to contain obscene words,
- Domain names are not allowed to allowed to infringe on
Example: besek.co.il would infringe on bezek.co.il.
This is done on a best effort basis.
- Domain names may not contain the following reserved words:
Example: internet.co.il would not be allowed. inter-net.co.il
would be allowed
- Domain names may not use well known geographic areas unless
they represent an official muncipality, i.e. israel.co.il
- Domain names may be generic in nature.
Example: nadlan.co.il, shuk.co.il
- Only Internet Service Providers with a valid operating license
from the Ministry of Communication may register under the net.il
- Domain names are not the property of Internet Service Providers
that provide the registration services of their company. Domain names are never owned by ISPs - other than those names that
are registered to run their company.
- Domain names are portable from ISP to ISP.
- No one company may register more than 10 domains on behalf of
- Domain names are non-transferrable once registered to a company
unless said company is bought out or merges with another
company. If a company goes bankrupt, the domain names owned
by that company are deallocated.
- Domain registrations must be related to the business or activities
of the company requesting the domain. Requests by individuals
or companies to register domains in the attempt to sell them
later to other companies will result in all domains owned by said
company to be revoked immediately.
The current ruleset is managed by Simon Shikman and an appeals
committee exists of:
This ruleset is being handed over to the Internet Society of
Israel for modification and formalization.
This page is maintained by Hank Nussbacher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Last modified on Thu May 2, 1996